Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Nihon ni ikimasu!

Dear Family and Friends,
I'M IN JAPAN!!!
I hate to inform you all that I will not be returning to America from Japan. I will be staying here forever because I would rather die then set foot on a plane EVER again!
Here's what happened: My first plane, from Salt Lake to Seattle, ended up being a very small aircraft in which every movement was felt. Luckily that ride was only 2 hours. I sat by the window and next to a very nice middle aged man from Seattle who was going home after a wedding. I told him that it was my first time flying ever, besides skydiving. He said he worked for the airport and assured me that it wouldn't be that bad. He kept an eye on me during the flight and laughed when I groaned over airsickness.
My layover in Seattle was only 30 minutes, which normally would have been great, except I felt very sick from the first flight. I had time to only use the bathroom and then I boarded my flight on it's last call. As I sat, waiting to take off, I looked out the window and teared up. I knew that I was leaving the country so I felt a little alone. But mostly I knew that I had 11 hours of flight time and I wasn't going to make it without getting very sick. This thought was more sad then anything.
A middle aged woman sat next to me and at first I was disappointed that she was American. On a plane full of Japanese people I get seated to one of the only other American's, what are the odds? But she ended up being a complete God send, a Guardian Angel to be sure because no more than an hour into the flight and I was rushing to the bathroom to throw up. Orange juice, I assure you, doesn't taste as good coming up but it's still just as citrusy. The rest of the flight was some of the most miserable 11 hours of my life. I haven't been that sick since I had stomach flu. If I wasn't asleep I was getting airsick. The second time I lost my cookies was right as they were delivering dinner. The smell got to me and, being trapped by the window and a food cart, I had to use the airsick bag. It was humiliating! Luckily my seat partner/angel, Pollie, is a mom of two kids and it didn't bother her at all. She let me out as soon as she could. The third time was right out of sleep, in another airsick bag. The fourth time was 5 minuets before we landed. I didn't eat a single thing the whole flight and wasn't able to even keep water down. Pollie was very sweet and kept asking if I needed anything or if I was alright.
And that my dear family and friends is why I will never be leaving the island of Japan. I figure I can either marry a Japanese man or join a Yakuza gang if I get seriously desperate. Eww. . . just typing this all again is making me feel the airsickness. I hate flying!
I arrived safely a nice shade of pale green which worried one of the flight attendants who insisted a take some bottles of water off with me. I made it through customs but was very weak from not eating for almost 24 hours and completely sick that I couldn't really enjoy the knowledge that I was in Japan. I bumped into my Guardian Angel while picking up my bags and she wished me a final goodbye and good luck. I might give one of my children her name for a middle name. . .
I made it through everything without getting too lost but felt horrible the whole time. Japan is very warm right now and I fanned myself to cool down and realized that it didn't help at all because it's humid, not hot. So I'm experiencing my first time of humidity. The bus ride was fine but I mostly just sat still and tried not to throw up so I haven't really gotten to enjoy Japan life sadly. I found my university teachers easily and they took me to my host family by taxi. My taxi driver was crazy and, since the roads are all backwards here, extremely terrifying. But I made it safe and sound to my host families who, upon meeting them, I think I will love it here.
I'll write more about them later though. I'm feeling ill again and it's 2:12 AM so I should try to get back to sleep. Love to you all!

Special thanks to Naomi, Nathan, Yuka, Tamirrah, and Kendall for seeing me off at the airport.
Yuka, thanks for warning me about the toilets being very loud in airplanes. So startling!
Trevor, thanks again for letting me know about the 3rd bag. That was a life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment