Sunday, October 30, 2011

Two days of kids!

Hi everyone,
Things here are, as usual, really good. It's turning into Fall and, despite being from Utah and have a tendency to enjoy cool air, it's VERY cool! I already miss central heating. My poor toes :( But the leafs are starting to change colors and it's so beautiful. The seasons change slowly here, unlike in Utah where we have construction and winter season and that's all. I will take a trip to Kyoto once it's REALLY fall and see all the famous Autumn leafs, please look forward to pictures.
This week I had the change to go to an Elementary school and speak to the kids. . . they wanted us to do it in Japanese. I don't think I've ever been more afraid of children. I practiced my simple answers, to the pre-prepared questions, like crazy until I had them memorized. Only four of us could go: Me, Sheng, Fefe, and U chan . . . so me and the Asians! I sure stand out. . . all the time! But it was a lot of fun. I did well and the kids were really cute. After we answered the questions they gave us they asked some more so the Otemon staff member that took us had to translate for me into Japanese. One of the little boys asked if we had boyfriends, his teacher lectured him and made him ask another question. He was really disappointed and we all laughed. As a thank you for visiting their school they gave me a 3,000 yen coupon to a book store. Which is a little over $30 so I was really surprised. I want to go by the "Making Out in Japanese" book and maybe a couple others to help me study Japanese :)
This week so many of my teachers, and even one of my Japanese language partners, got sick so many of my classes were canceled. This weekened, right now is Sunday, Friday was canceled because there will be a festival on campus today and tomorrow. So I don't have school on Monday or Tuesday. Thursday is another holiday so as of next week I will only attend two days of school . . . it kind of sucks. Too much free time is not a good thing. I'm not sure what I'll do.
Friday, since we had no school, Norihiro came over to my house and we studied. He took the TOEIC test today (the English language test) so we studied a little bit of English and Japanese. Mostly we ended up just talking and goofing off. We went out for dinner to a Ramen shop and I ate the best Ramen I've had in Japan thus far. It was so good! I suggested that we rent a movie since we had talked about movies we liked. He really likes American movies, especially scary ones and super hero ones. I recommended Thor but he wanted a scary movie. He wanted to make me watch The Shinning, I adamantly refused! We settled on Paranormal Activity, much to my despair. I'm so glad Yuka and I watched scary movies together because I was more prepared, thank you Yuka! So there we were, sitting in my room, crowded around my table and lap top, me cuddling a pillow, Norihiro very calm. And the end of the movie I had hid my face behind my pillow more then once and was squeezing Norihiro's sleeve with two fingers, while jumping and squeeking each time I got scared. . . I don't think he flinched even once. As I walked him to the train station he said that next time we should rent Paranormal Activity 2 and I should come to his house and watch it there since he has a big TV in his room. I agreed but complained a little to him about it. The day was a lot of fun though and luckily I wasn't too scared to sleep.
Saturday there was a Halloween party we attended with a bunch of little kids. We were provided by the college to help, without being informed what we were going to help with. So we hung out with little kids for a few hours, wearing costumes, and taking A LOT of pictures. I made four very cute little friends and there are pictures on Facebook.
Today is Sunday and I was able to make it to church this time. I skipped out on an all nighter that the boys planned but that didn't stop Louis from texting me at 3 AM to tell me how much fun I was missing. But I attended church and it was really nice. It was a stake meeting so I finally got to meet the Sister missionaries. I also met the Mission President and his wife. It was fun and, although my Japanese is still terrible, I'm picking up on the patterns of talking. I've hit a point where sometimes I can understand the topic of a question people are asking me and get the jist of what they're saying but not know it word for word. I'm coming along but I have a way to go. Still can't speak it but I'm doing better.
Oh, I've also come to a conclusion: Technology hates me! For those of you who know, recently my phone died. It killed over suddenly and I lost a years worth of pictures and videos and ended up spending a ton of time and money to get it replaced. Then, right before leaving for Japan, my laptop died, making me lose the start of a book I was writing, and all of my music. Friday, while hanging out with Norihiro, my ipod randomly decided to delete all of my music from itself, leaving me with 14 songs. I threw my ipod across the room and mourned the loss of my Japanese music that I can't get again . . . I've had nothing but bad luck I swear. So, my dear friends, for those of you who care, please save me some music that I can nab when I come home :)
Not much else to say . . . mellow week. I hope you're all well. Love and light!

No comments:

Post a Comment