Sunday, November 13, 2011

Exactly 2 Months in Japan

Konnichiwa everyone!
Things here in Japan are great. Not much going on. In Japanese class we're starting to study short form (those who know Japanese understand what I'm talking about) and I HATE IT! Mecha kirai! I like "masu" form. Which is silly because everyone in Osaka speaks the very casual "short form" so I need to be good at it. *Sigh* What do you do? I'm ok at Present positive, and present and past negative but past positive seems impossible to me. I'll get it though. I'm determined!
Lots of weird things have happened with me and some of the exchange students. Madison, one of the Aussie boys, is well known for complaining about EVERYTHING and just saying whatever he thinks, no matter how unnecessary or uncalled for it is. To put it bluntly, hardly any of the exchange students get a long with him, myself included. This week, on two separate occasions, he insulted me and made fun of me during class conversations, for no reason. The second time I wanted to throw a chair at his head because he was so offensive. But, as everyone knows, Karma is cruel. Friday night Madison, who's well known for drinking two much (twice now he's slept outside overnight from passing out on the streets), overdid it again. I was told, by Sarah, that he lost his school bag, didn't get off the train in Ibaraki and ended up in Kyoto (an hour away from where he lives), got off the train and got lost in the mountains. He ended up calling Dan and Bret around 4 or 5 in the morning, furious that he was lost and insisting that it was all Japan and the Japanese peoples faults. I guess he even refused to ask for directions when the other boys were trying to help him because he was too proud. He found his way to a station eventually but his bag is still lost. Inside his bag was all his school books, his iphone from Australia, his electric dictionary, as well as a huge jump drive of one of the teachers that he had borrowed. More or less he lost over $2,000 worth of personal items. Of course, being true to his personality, he blames everyone but himself, including the country of Japan. I heard that he called his family and is booking a flight home before this next week is over. I doubt he plans on compensating the teacher for the jump drive he lost. Frankly I doubt he will be missed by any of us. Karma I tell you.
Thursday I was able to try on Yukata, as I said before, one of Ooki chans students is going to teach me how to tie them on myself. She helped me, which was really fun and amazingly complicated, and even left her Yukata here for me to practice with. I've been too scared to unfold them though because folding them correctly, to preserve them, is more complicated then trying to wear them. But, by the time I'm home, I hope to be able to tie a Kimono on myself :) To make this story even cooler the woman said she might have an old wool Kimono she could give me! She's promised to bring it next time she comes and if it fits me she said she would give it to me. I was so shocked when she offered all I could do was bow and said "Arigatou gozaimasu! Sumimasen!" She insisted it was fine but Ooki chan teased me for being so spoiled by her students. I feel so lucky to be around such kind people!
I know I was starting to get discouraged with Japanese but I Skyped with Yuka today and we were able to speak very simple, and VERY slow, Japanese. (Thank you Yuka Sensei!!!) So despite all my complaints I know I'm improving. Naomi teased me for complaining about not being fluent yet. She said: "Instant Gratification Taleah rears her ugly head again!" She knows me well, hehe. It's true. I feel that since I'm not fluent, after two months, I'm failing. Speaking of two months, today, is exactly the two month mark of me being in Japan. Only 2 1/2 more months to go! That's so insane! I hope time will slow down a little for me.
Well, I really don't know what to write. . . I haven't done any cool trips for a while so nothing fun to say. But I hope you're all doing well. I love and miss you all. Until next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment