Saturday, January 21, 2012

Ice Skating and Fishing in Round One

Hello you guys,
Well, my days in Japan are numbered and if that hasn't spoiled my mood then I don't know what will. I'm in my last two weeks . . . but I don't want to talk about it anymore.
Not much has happened, just school and hanging out a lot. Earlier this week we all had to give a presentation on any topic of our choosing, in Japanese, in front of all the Sensei, the office staff, and any of the tutors or friends that wanted to come. There ended up being about 30 people there and it was terrifying! My topic was about experiencing being Japanese in the Kansai area. I seriously practiced my script, with the slideshow I made, a million times. I had it down packed! And then I got up there, started my speech, got a few sentences in, and stumbled on one word . . . and for the life of me I couldn't remember how to say it . . . nor could I remember how to read the Japanese alphabet with 30 Japanese people starring at me! I attempted it a few times and then finally just mumbled my way past it, saying it all wrong which, unfortunately was a key word in the sentence so it probably made no sense after I messed up. It doesn't matter now and I ended up doing well, after the mess up. People got to ask us questions afterwards and I'm glad to say I was able to understand very clearly two of the three and answer without hesitation. One of the questions I had to get clarification on but I answered it right away after I understood. It sucked though because as soon as I sat down I remembered how to say the word I forgot lol. Also, because my adrenalin was rushing, I suddenly felt completely exhausted and was shaking. I never want to give a presentation in another language again! lol
Yesterday, Saturday, I hung out with Akane, Tomi, and Norihiro. (Since I'm leaving soon my next week is completely packed with plans and activities. I probably won't have one spare moment until I'm on the airplane home.) We went ice skating which was so much fun because I've never been. I'm very happy to say I didn't fall once! And not because I just stood there, I got ok at being able to skate around. Tomi and Norihiro are both pretty good at it and can go fast, Akane and I stumbled around a bit at first, screaming at ever misstep when our feet would slide, it was funny. At one point I was skating alone and skated past two middle aged guys who, when they saw me called out to me. The both skated up to me, really fast and skillfully, and so I stopped to hold the side. They asked me, in Japanese, "You're not Japanese?" and I answered that I wasn't. "You're an exchange student?" I said I was and told them I was studying Japanese. "What university?" I told them Otemon Gakuin. One of them asked where that was and the other told him in Ibaraki. I confirmed it was Ibaraki. They asked me where I was from and I said the US. One of them then asked if I was from the East coast or the West coast. I told him west and said Utah. He said he had been to Utah before and I asked where. He said Ephraim. I got really excited and told him that that was my town. He told me he attended Snow college 20 years ago! I was shocked! Around that time Akane, Tomi, and Norihiro meet up with us and I excitedly told Akane, in English, that he had gone to Snow College. She was just as surprised as me and we all got excited and were really surprised by the coincidence. Norihiro said he wanted to attend Snow College next year and the man told him that he should go because it's beautiful. He said there is a lot of snow and mountains. He then asked me if I was LDS which further surprised me because usually people say "Mormon". I told him I was. He said that LDS people are very kind. Around that time two little kids skated up to us REALLY skillfully and the man who went to Snow College said that the boy was his son and the girl was the other mans daughter. We talked to them for a little while and then continued to skate. Later, the man who didn't go to Snow College, skated past me, turned around backwards, and held out his hand. It looked like he wanted to shake my hand so I took it, he then started skating around the rink really fast with me in tow. It was a lot of fun and Akane took pictures. The two kids ended up coming and talking with us again and we played with them a little and laughed a lot. By the time we left I felt like we had made new friends and said goodbye to them.
After Skating we had ramen for lunch and then went to Round One. We bought a pass, for about 2,000 yen ($20 ish) where we could do many things for about 8 hours. We played pool, rode little motorcycles around a ring, played arcade games, ping pong, darts, did Karaoke, tennis, soccar, and even fishing. The fishing is what I want to tell you about. They have a little pool of Coy fish. They provide bate and poles with hooks that have the barbs cut off. The hooks are still sharp but, if you catch a fish, the hook comes out easily so the fish will live and you put it back. Tomi was fishing and Akane, Norihiro, and I were taking turns playing ping pong against a computer that shoots the balls out at you. We heard Tomi screaming Akane's name really loudly and excitedly and ran to the fishing pool in time to see Tomi holding up the biggest fish in the pool! He was freaking out and we all started laughing and he and Norihiro excitedly pulled the fish out of the pool with a net. The fish was HUGE! Nobody wanted to touch the fish though so they ran to get someone to pull the hook out. I worried that the fish would die so I put it back in the water with the net holding it. A man came and helped us take care of the fish and that was that. But it was so funny and for the rest of the night we kept laughing about Tomi catching a fish. We tried to fish again but no luck. I think Tomi had a REALLY lucky chance because, without barbs on the hooks, it was impossible to catch a fish. The day was really fun and I got home around 1 AM, exhausted.
My next week is full of activities and tests and then I'll be flying home. I'll send one more email next Sunday to you all. I hope you're well. Love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment