Monday, January 16, 2012

Time is running out!

Hey you guys,
Sorry it's been a while since I've sent a good email. Things here are good. Not been up to much, just studying, hanging out with friends, and laughing with my host family.
Recently, which will probably be no surprise to anyone, I decided I wanted to return to Otemon in the Spring with Ron and do another semester here. I talked to Fukuda san, one of the main guys in the Otemon International office, as well as emailed Snow's International office Director, Sam. Fukuda was really eager for me to come back and gave me a lot of really nice complements about my behavior here. So he and Sam have been working things out to see if it's possible. I explained to both of them that the only thing holding me back would be finances as it cost me about $7,000-$8,000 to come here. I was keeping the info of me wanting to return on the down low, in case it didn't work out, but unfortunately Fukuda san gave me some information update in front of Norihiro, so he found out. He then got really excited and, for a few days, kept telling me to come back. He even started singing to me on the bus, quietly, a random song about coming back lol. Unfortunately, the Financial Aid office FINALLY responded to my email about my eligibility to apply for more student loans and I can't. To make matters worse, I got this email and calculated my finances right before Norihiro came over to my house to hang out. He was there when reality, that I can't afford to come back, hit. I tried to play it cool and be happy but he could see I was really upset. He asked me "Daijobu?" (Are you ok?) I answered "Hai, daijobu." (Yes, I'm ok) but he insisted I wasn't and gave me a big hug. I then started to cry which upset him a lot. So he held me while I shed a few tears, maybe my first good cry in Japan. After I finished crying we watched a movie, ate some takoyaki, and had a lot of fun, but with a distinct underlying of sadness. He promised to meet me at Snow College next year.
Today I emailed Sam to let him know it wouldn't work out. He emailed me back and asked me to wait until Wednesday to tell Fukuda san. He said he was going to attend a meeting Wednesday morning and there might be a solution for me to come back. So, despite SOME OF YOU hating the idea of me returning please send prayers, good vibes, and love (whichever you believe in) into the universe for me. I hope to have a resolution on Wednesday. . . I don't have much hope but it would make my year to come back for another semester, especially to experience Japan with Ron :)
Some good news: The woman who taught me how to tie a Kimono left me a present the other day. I came home to find a Kimono that she was giving me! Not only that but a red Obi, and the two Yukata (summer Kimonos) she is giving me as well! I was so happy! As a thank you, the day before I leave, I will make pasta and Ooki chan is inviting many of her students. Most of her students have taken an English lesson from me and given me presents so I'm happy to cook for them. So I'll be coming home with some fantastic Kimono's which I will randomly wear around the house because they are pretty :)
Other then that, not much to tell. I'm doing well and dreading leaving. As well as dreading my final test and the presentation I have to give, in Japanese, to all my teachers and the other students. . . wish me luck! It's this Thursday . . . SCARY!
Love and miss you all! I'll see you all soon!

Taleah

P.S. My flight should be arriving in Salt Lake City, January 31st, around 4 PM. Who wants to be the lucky kid who comes and picks me, and my three big suitcases, up? I'm guessing either Mom or Naomi, with Tamirrah and who knows who else. Someone let me know though. I don't have a phone charger here so I'll be running blind . . . hopefully you can find me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment