Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Book idea

Alright then. I decided to post in here the first chapter of a new book I'm thinking about writing. I say "thinking about" because I always start books but never finish them lol. It's my tragic flaw. Without this flaw I would be a billionaire, world known, famous author, with fans, groupies, and stalkers. At least I think it's possible lol :)
Anyways. Here's the chapter. Let me know what you think.

Chapter one

I was born in the Spring, in April, when there was a heavy shower of rain, late at night. My father often told me the story of how my mother, may she rest in peace, died during child labor. I think he told me this in order for me to honor my mother's memory. He didn't understand that I already did honor her, she died to give me life. The story of my birth was painful to me. Each time my father spoke of it I almost heard a hint of regret in his voice. She had died for, the heir to his throne, me. It seemed that my father didn't think the trade off was worth it.

I was to be the next king of Fairport, the kingdom of which I lived. It was a beautiful place with high walls circling the grounds. My father always said I would ascend his throne, always naming it as his property. Even when he talked about dying he would claim the throne. Always something like: “When I die you will rule on my throne”. It gave me the idea that I was just to keep the seat warm until he decided to come back. Knowing my father he honestly believed that if Heaven was boring he would be able to stroll back down to earth, as though he had only decided to take a short vacation.

The neighboring kingdom, Greenville, had been enemies with our kingdom for as long as anyone could remember. They were 100 miles away, separated by easy road and a long flat meadow which was considered no mans land. My kingdom wanted their land and Greenville wanted our land. No one built in the meadow, to do so would be to invite war. But that didn't stop the two kingdoms from plotting if there was every a good opportunity. Which is why it was so important for my father to have an heir.

He had me trained in the art of war, preparing me for the inevitable betrayal of our enemies the Royce family. The Royce's were the royal family in Greenville and Father was certain that one day they would come and try to steal our kingdom out from under us. I trained with all kinds of weapons, mastering everything I could, including hand to hand combat.

My father also insured my education, having me attend personal tutors all week long. I was education in a wide variety of subjects and forced to read hundreds of books. I was knowledgeable about many things, I grasped the subjects easily, but I wasn't deeply interested in any one subject.

I am a confident person but quiet. I am capable of speaking my mind but mostly I tried to keep my comments to myself. When I do speak my thoughts I'm told I'm outspoken, usually offending someone around me with my opinion. I have been known to be stubborn and more than once I have head people describe me as arrogant. I don't believe I'm arrogant I just find people annoying and most of the time unintelligent.

Despite my years of training in combat I am small. I was 5'7 with a slender build, my legs and arms long. My face is also thin and I had high cheekbones with straight small lips and a slender nose. Sometimes I feel that everything about me is small. My hair is short, the tips in the front hanging just to the middle of my forehead, and a dark red-brown color. My eyes are gray blue and framed by light brown eyebrows and eyelashes. My skin tone is fair, I didn't tan easily, and spotless.

I'm not anxious about being king someday, I knew I could rule well. I am smart enough to understand my advisers, strong enough to fight off any enemies, and I am charismatic enough to rule my people in confidence.

I'm not afraid, despite knowing that my destiny and life would have been much easier if there was one thing different about me. I should have been born a boy.


3 comments:

  1. OOooo I thought it was a boy...excellent twist at the end of the chapter. So what happens? You can tell me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of things happen :)
    I'm glad the chapter came out sounding like a boy, that was my goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, its totally awesome! I LOVE IT! Although, as a first chapter it should totally be longer :P but it ends really well "I should have been born a boy" CLASSIC! Amazing job, can't wait for the next installment =)

    ReplyDelete