Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Love is ______(Fill in the blank)

Ahh Love! According to Wikipedia, which FYI is the greatest creation ever (lol), Love is:

". . .any of a number of emotions related to a sense of strong affection and attachment. The word love can refer to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from generic pleasure . . . to intense personal attraction. This diversity of uses and meanings, combined with the complexity of the feelings involved, makes love unusually difficult to consistently define, even compared to other emotional states.
As an abstract concept, love usually refers to a deep, ineffable feeling of tenderly caring for another person. Even this limited conception of love, however, encompasses a wealth of different feelings, from the passionate desire and intimacy of romantic love to the nonsexual emotional closeness of familial and platonic love to the profound oneness or devotion of religious love. Love in its various forms acts as a major facilitator of interpersonal relationships and, owing to its central psychological importance, is one of the most common themes in the creative arts."

As childish and impossible as it might sound, I believe in "Happily Ever After" love. Despite the horrible examples in my family.
Of my mom's 7 siblings 4 have been divorced. My mom has also been divorced. My step-dad was divorced two times before he married my mom. My dad has been married and divorced three times. My oldest sister SHOULD divorce her husband, who is too broken to love anyone but himself and the addictions. My oldest brother divorced his wife while she was pregnant and is now remarried. But recently I found that the person he loves the most he can never have. So his current wife is a second choice. My next sister just recently divorced her husband. In this situation I commend her because, although her husband was a wonderful man, she wasn't completely happy. So she did what was best for her own well being, which I think is brave. The next sister was divorced from a real jerk of a guy, who happened to be completely charming while they were dating. The following brother seemed to do it all right, dated for a year, married in the temple, etc. But in reality he's a broken man because in his marriage he gives all and she takes all without giving anything in return.
Those are my five siblings that have been or are married. It's sad to me that, because or our own difficult childhoods, my family can't seem to find happiness in marriage.

BUT HOPE IS NOT LOST!

I watch my closest friends in their marriages with pure joy. Julia and her husband love to fight, in fact she says it keeps their relationship fun. They argue, playfully and childishly, and you can see the love in each others eyes. I can see, while watching them, that years from now when they're grandparents they will never have that horrible disease known only as "getting used to each other". They both know that they have a great catch. You can tell by the way they look at each other and the way they talk about each other. They depend on the other.
Robert and Megan are very opposite in some situations. Their strengths and weaknesses balance each other out. As such they adore each other. They too argue but Megan she can never stay mad at Robert, even when she wants to. He will stare at her and immediately she will start laughing. I can see that they will always love each other in levels of adoration. Their story of finding each other is so sweet and touching.

With these two wonderful examples I know it's possible, despite what my own personal history has shown.
Nothing terrifies me more than the idea that I'll do it all right, find a great guy, date, pray about him, get married in the temple, five years later I feel it was a horrible mistake and we get a divorce.
No one gets married expecting to divorce, but at the same time no one plans on growing out of love.
I HATE the stupid lie that is known as the "honeymoon stage"! That comforting blissful place that you just know is going to last! "We'll always be this in love!" and all that load of bull.
NO ONE IS ALWAYS IN THE HONEYMOON STAGE! NO ONE IS ALWAYS SO IN LOVE!
. . .or are they?

Is it possible, that "happily ever after", "blissfully happy", so in love that you miss them even when you've been married for 50 years? Writers, artists, filmmakers, and songwriters would have us believe so, but is it really possible?

I say yes.

I honestly believe it is possible. I believe that two people, who are willing to work, can make it happen.

Back to the top: "Love is _____ (fill in the blank)"
For me, today, Love is POSSIBLE.
What is it for you?

2 comments:

  1. Deep, Taleah. I tend to agree with both ideas, I think that unexpectedly love can become miserable and destroy your life because you are so addicted to the idea of love and not the person you feel in love with. I also believe that if you work hard you can obtain and retain that "honeymoon bliss". I know couples that have been married for ten years that seem to really adore each other, but I know they've had challenges and they had to work through them. I believe love is possible, but I also believe it depends on the two people and finding a willingness on both ends to work towards that happy stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taleah, First Thank you for your awesome mention. I'm glad I am one of the happy examples ^_^
    I believe Happily ever after is possible. I think when you're in a relationship you want to work and last forever it takes hard work everyday from both people. I hear all the time that having children means you have to be selfless. I feel that way in a relationship too. You have to be willing to give up some things and help your partner in anyway. If you're both on the couch and you're asked to get them a drink of water, go get it. This is the person you're going to be with for the rest of your life. You should be the nicest to them. Be polite and say please and thank you (i've been getting better at that ^_^) And it's vice versa. Unless both people are willing to get off the couch, it is not going to work.
    P.S. Being selfless also means letting your dude doing things he enjoys. Garek works all day then goes to school at night. I never seen him till 8:30/9 pm. Sometimes he wants to go play basketball afterward. I don't want him to because he won't be with me but how could I take his joy away if I love him? And I expect the same treatment back. I try not to yell or snap and I don't want to be yelled at or snapped at (you remember that time he did snap at me? I hung out with you hjours after haha). Anyway this is turning into a blog so I'll stop but it is soooo possible!

    ReplyDelete